Klein Tools releases the T1290 Rechargeable Pro Thermal Imager. This handheld thermal imager improves upon Klein Tools’ successful 2020 T1250 model. The T1250 was loved for its compact handheld design, rechargeable battery, bright colorscale display, straightforward use, built-in camera, and microSD option for easily storing and sharing photos. Klein not only kept all your favorite features, but they improved them.
Biggest Klein T1290 Handheld Thermal Imager Upgrades
- Wi-Fi capabilities for image sharing and storing
- Klein T1290 photo app compatible with both Apple & Android
- 5x better imaging than previous model for identifying hot and cold spots
- Ergonomic redesign for more comfortable grip and improved user experience
Let’s dig a little deeper into all of the features on the Klein T1290 Handheld Thermal Imager.
More Info on the T1290 Handheld Thermal Imager
- Product Name: Rechargeable Pro Thermal Imager
- Model #: T1290
- Release Date: March 28, 2023
- Retail Price: $499.99
- Where to Buy: Haus Tools, Acme Tools, HSI, ToolUp, PLATT
Read more info from Klein Tools
Read more TIA Klein Tool Reviews
Features of the T1290 Handheld Thermal Imager
- 49,000 pixels for identifying hot and cold spots
- Adjustable high and low temperature alarm (-4 to 752-degree Fahrenheit/-20 to 400-degree Celsius) and emissivity sensor (0.01 to 0.99)
- Easy to use point-and-shoot camera
- Store and share images via Wi-Fi
- Klein T1290 photo app compatible with both Apple and Android devices
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with included USB-C charging cable
- Ergonomic redesign with controls moved from bottom to right side for a more comfortable grip and improved user experience
- Three color palette options: ironbow, rainbow, or grayscale
- Also includes: USB-C charging cable, storage case, and carabiner
- Survived Klein’s 6.6 foot drop test
What You Need a Handheld Thermal Imager For
From professional to personal use, thermal imagers are great tools that are used across a variety of industries and hobbies. We divided some of the most common uses into “professional” and “recreational” to help you determine if a thermal imager is right for you.
Professional Thermal Imaging Uses
- Home inspectors/buyers: identify hot and cold spots in homes
- Police/Fire & Rescue: help locate missing persons in dense or covered areas
- Medical (human & animal): assess body temperature
- Mechanical Installations
- Gas Leak Detection
- Security: monitor unusual activity (number of persons, unauthorized activity in private areas, etc.)
Recreational Uses for Thermal Imagers
- Hunting: scan for body temperature of animals in dense or covered areas
- Fishing: scan for populated and active fishing areas
- Child Safety: help keep an eye on your children in dark/low visibility situations (ex: parties and activities after dark)
- Ghost hunting: identify cold spots and shapes possibly caused by paranormal activities – spooky!
T1290 Handheld Thermal Imager Value
The Klein Tools T1290 Handheld Thermal Imager’s full retail price is $778, but is being sold at most retailers for $499.99 – a huge discount! We believe this is a fair price for the pixel qualities and tech capabilities. Also, when you consider that the price of thermal imagers ranges anywhere from less than $100 to over $10k, the T1290 is a very affordable option for a professional thermal imager.
Interested? Check Klein Tools list of retailers for the T1290 Handheld Thermal Imager.
Final Thoughts on the T1290 Handheld Thermal Imager
The Klein Tools T1290 has great imaging for identifying hot and cold spots, it’s comfortable to hold and is a nice size for taking on-the-go, and the Wi-Fi and app capabilities are excellent features for documenting and sharing reports. At $499.99 this is a fairly priced item for professionals, but also an affordable price for serious hobbyists, such as hunters, who will get a lot of use out of this.
Overall, we definitely recommend the T1290 for the current $499.99 price, and you should definitely jump on that discount while it’s still available.