Before we get started I just want to let you know I am not a mechanic nor do I work with hand tools everyday. When it comes to hand tools, I break them out when I have to put something together for my wife or fix my kids toys. Maybe one day I will have time for myself and be able to do things I want, but I don’t see that happening in the near future. So when I talk about hand tools, I am talking about them from a homeowner consumer. My tool box consists of old Craftsman, Kobalt, Mastergrip wrenches and sockets, along with a couple of off brands, which suck. If you have been following us for a while, you know we took a trip out to New York and had a chance to check out the “New” Husky. Husky is a brand that is sold at The Home Depot. They tend to be for the homeowner and are a fraction of the price of professional brands. For me, I don’t have a ton of Husky products except for a couple hand tools, a tool bag, a tool box and a couple compressors. Overall I have been extremely happy with Husky tools
Husky 100 Position Double Ratcheting Wrench Set
The first item we are taking a look at today is the 100 position double ratcheting wrench set. If you visit The Home Depot website, you can read all the techie stuff, which means nothing to me. I am just going to cover the items that are important to me. First, is the feel. These tools don’t seem cheap. When you pick them up, they seem to have some weight which I prefer, plus it seems like they will hold up to the abuse of me throwing them when I grab the wrong one out of the tool box and don’t want to have to run back and grab a different size. So that is a plus. Second, I am getting older and my eyes are getting shot. So lucky for me, these have nice big number which makes them easy to read, another huge plus.
In regards to use, there are two main things that stand out to me. First, is the 100 position ratcheting. The more the better as far as I am concerned. I know there are times when I am using it in tight spots because my kids toys are small. There have been times I just can’t get to a bolt and tighten it because the ratcheting points aren’t close enough. With a 100 position, I am not foreseeing any problems. Another feature is I can use these wrenches for a bunch of different fasteners because it’s universal. I can use these on E-Torx, Square, 6 point, 12 point, 6 point 50% rounded and spline. I love the universal feature because now I have less wrenches to try and use to figure out which one is the right one.
- Set includes 6 combination wrenches covering sizes 3/8, 5/16, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 in.
- Large size markings offer easy identification
- Box end needs just 3.6 Degree swing to turn a fastener
- Open end also ratchets to quickly remove fasteners where box ends cannot reach
- Alloy steel construction provides durability and long lasting performance
- Universal box-end fit 6-point, 12-point, square, E-Torx, Spline, and partially rounded hex fasteners
- Industrial black finish stands up to a lifetime of use
- Open-end allows the wrench to be slid into position from the side of the fastener
- Box -end provides additional leverage and less likelihood of slipping when used on hard to remove fasteners
- Package doubles as a storage rack to keep your wrenches organized and in one place
- Meets or exceeds ANSI standards
- Husky mechanics hand tools are guaranteed forever; if your Husky hand tool ever fails, bring it back and we will replace it free of charge
Husky 60 Piece 1/4″ and 3/8″ Drive Universal Mechanics Tool Set
These are pretty much the same as the wrenches except these are sockets. They have the same 100 position system which makes life a little easier when you are getting in those hard to reach spots. As with the wrenches, these sockets are designed to be universal which means they will work on E-Torx, Square, 6 point, 12 point, 6 point 50% rounded and spline. So again, very cool that you can replace a ton of tools in your toolbox.
As for me, I do like these sockets. I wish the ratchet handles where a little more bulky or bigger. I understand that when they are smaller, you can get into tight spots, but I just like the feel better. While a lot of people don’t use the box it comes with, I do. So I would have preferred the latches to be metal instead of plastic. However with a $80 price tag, these are hard to beat. I am sure I will get a lot of years out of these.
- Set includes (1) 3/8 in. drive 100-position ratchet, (1) 3/8 in. drive 100-position gimbal palm ratchet, (1) standard length 1/4 in. drive knurl grip universal sockets, (8) deep 1/4 in. drive knurl grip universal sockets, (12) standard length 3/8 in. drive knurl grip universal sockets, (12)deep 3/8 in. drive knurl grip universal sockets and (16) other accessory and drive tools
- 100-position, low-profile, long handle ratchet has an ultra narrow 3.6 Degree arch swing
- Gimbal ratchet features multi-directional rotation for easier access in hard-to-reach areas
- Knurl grip universal sockets fit 6-point, 12-point, square, E-Torx, spine and partially rounded hex fasteners
- Each socket features a knurl ring and tapper design, making them easier to grip and spin using only your fingertips
- Industrial black finish stands up to a lifetime of use
- Laser etched size marking stand out on the black finish for easy identification
- Bits work with the bit adapter socket to create 11 different bit sockets
- Bits are formed from Heat Treated S2 Tool Steel for added strength and wear protection
- Tools are Forged from Chromium-vanadium (Cr-V) steel for outstanding durability and strength
- Sockets feature chamfered lead-ins help to provide fast and easy placement onto drive tools and fasteners
- Plastic storage case is stamped with size markings for easy identification and organization
- Husky mechanics hand tools are guaranteed forever; if your Husky hand tool ever fails, bring it back and we will replace it free