Today Klein tools announced a new addition to their VDV line up. The Commander Series is made specifically for testing of coaxial, network or telephone cables. Klein is well known as a professional brand especially with electricians. Until now, low voltage electricians were either guessing or had to buy an expensive Fluke device to get the job done. This new VDV commander is going to allow the network technician to quickly troubleshoot and diagnose connectivity issues.
I use the Klein Scout Pro LT and it has saved me a lot of troubleshooting time which saves my clients money. The Commander comes in 2 packages, one with a tone generator and one without. While I haven’t had this tool in my hands yet. It looks to be awesome! The big color display is a real help in those dark IT rooms.
- Test coaxial, data (RJ45) and telephone (RJ11) cables
- Identify wire faults including miswire, open, short, split-pair, reverse pair and verify shielding
- Wiremap – displayed in color per TIA-568A/B industry standard
- Measure cable length and distance to a fault with Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) technology
- Detect, identify and test Power over Ethernet (PoE)
- Locate and identify cables with Location ID remotes for data and coaxial cables
- Test and identify location in one step with Test-n-Map™ ID Remote for data and telephone cables
- Identify a hub or switch or visually locate cable runs with Link Light
- Trace cables, wire pairs and individual conductor wires with Tone Generator (requires an analog tone tracing probe included in test & tone kit)
- Perform active network (Ethernet) testing – detect link speeds and capabilities
- Save, export and print up to 256 cable or network tests